I am encouraged by the number of social media posts from schoolchildren asking for work. It is important however for anyone thinking of employing a child of compulsory school age to be aware of the restrictions.
Other than in limited circumstances children under the age of 14 should not be employed.
In addition, children cannot be employed: –
- on a school day, before the end of the school day (unless a local byelaw allows children to do a newspaper round in the morning before school)
before 7 AM or after 7 PM
- for more than two hours on a day that they have to go to school or on a Sunday
- for more than 12 hours in any school term week
- if they are under 15 years old, for more than five hours on any non-school day
- if they are over 15, for more than eight hours on any non-school day
- in the school holidays, if they are under 15, for more than 25 hours in the week
- in school holidays if they are over 15, from more than 35 hours in the week
- without a one hour rest break after working four hours in any day.
Separate rules apply to children in performances.
If you have any concerns about this or any other employment matter, please do not hesitate to contact me on 01789 336 957 or email@example.com